Compass Soapstone Sculpture, Light Gray Stone
$68.99 In StockKSACMP-LG
Hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone by African artisans, this natural stone compass is a beautiful piece of art! Made from dark grey natural soapstone, it blends well with any decor and works well on a desk. The significance of the compass as a metaphoric guiding point is a great reference of strength to support a friend. Great gift for men!Product Features:
- Measures approximately 4-5/8-inches wide x 5-1/4-inches tall x 1-1/2-inches deep.
- 2-piece set. Colors are a lighter grey with natural variations expected from soapstone.
- Due to the hand-carved nature, each piece may vary in size by up to a half an inch.
- Made from a natural stone.
- Soapstone is a soft stone, making it easy to carve into many forms. Handle with care to avoid breakage.
- Each piece has gone through multiple stages of sanding and waxing, giving the soapstone a satiny finish.
- Socially responsible products that empower consumers to purchase according to their values and help alleviate global poverty.
- Fair Trade is an alternative business model that values safe workplaces, fair wages and community investment for factory employees.
Story Behind the Art:
Each sculpture is artfully hand-carved from a single piece of Kisii soapstone, found only in the hills of southwestern Kenya. Mining the soapstone from surface hills is a labor-intensive process, using little to no machinery. Laborers works with shovels, picks, axes and machetes to carve out large soapstone chucks, which are then carved into beautiful art.